David H. Cook
David began his career counseling publicly-traded and VC-backed SaaS software companies, before serving as general counsel to a regional investment banking firm. He founded Sovereign Legal in 2009. Over his career, David has advised clients on approximately one hundred merger, acquisition and strategic alliance transactions collectively valued in excess of $1B (see below for a selective list of transactions). His legal experience covers all major areas of business representation.
- University of Washington School of Law
- University of Puget Sound
Admitted to Practice
- California, 2001
- Washington, 2004
- D.C. Court of Appeals, 2009 (inactive)
- Represented buyer in purchase of manufacturing company Buyken, Kent WA
- Represented buyer in purchase of Western Industrial Tooling, Redmond WA
- Represented buyer in purchase of Gavco Inc., Kent WA
- Represented buyer in the purchase of Glass Eye Studios, Seattle WA
- Represented seller in the sale of Denhaus, Seattle, WA
- Represented buyer in sale of part ownership in chiropractic practice, multiple locations in Puget Sound
- Represented buyer in purchase of Living Lotus Wellness, Seattle WA
- Represented seller in sale of franchise ownership of dental practice back to Comfort Dental
- Represented buyer in purchase of Greenlake Health Center, Seattle WA
- Represented buyer in purchase of specialty dental practice, Bellingham WA
- Represented seller in sale of specialty dental practice, Tacoma WA
Technology / IP Services
- Represented buyer Digital Insight in $62M cash & stock acquisition of Magnet Communications, Los Angeles / Atlanta
- Represented buyer Digital Insight in $41M cash & stock acquisition of Virtual Financial Services, Los Angeles / Indianapolis
- Represented seller in sale of Ombrella Inc., Seattle WA
- Represented seller in sale of part ownership of Cevado Technologies, Chelan WA.
- Represented buyer in purchase of Electronic Charts Corp, Seattle WA
- Represented buyer in purchase of Sponge School, Seattle WA
- Represented seller in sale of Macabe Associates, Seattle WA
Commercial Real Estate
- Represented buyer Kamin Realty in purchase of Walmart, Target and AT&T single tenant leasehold entities, Lacey WA
- Represented buyer in purchase of Ace Hardware Distribution Center single tenant leasehold entity, Moxee WA (800,000 sf).
- Represented seller of commercial property to Northshore School District, Bothell WA
Retail & Restaurant
- Represented sellers in sale of City People’s Mercantile, Seattle WA
- Represented buyer Specialty Restaurant Group in the acquisition of Twig’s Northgate Mall leasehold and FF&E, Seattle WA
- Represented management (chefs) in buyout of La Medusa ownership, Seattle WA
- Represented seller in sale and lease assignment of Vittels, Seattle WA
- Represented buyer in acquisition of Applied Handling NW, Kent WA
- Represented buyer In acquisition of Yakima Overhead Door, Yakima WA
- Represented management buyers in purchase of prefabricated modern home builder Stillwater Dwellings Inc., Seattle WA
- Represented buyers in purchase of the other 50% shareholding in JC Richards Inc., Tacoma WA
- David is a FINRA arbitrator with a "non-public" designation. FINRA regulates more than 630,000 brokers and the 100M+ investors they serve, and maintains a roster of 6,000+ arbitrators. These neutral, qualified individuals serve as decision makers, weighing the facts of each case presented. FINRA has two classifications of arbitrators: public and non-public; the latter have a more extensive securities industry background.
- He was formerly a council member for USA Triathlon's 6-state PNW Region; president of Legs for Lauren, a 510(c)(3) non-profit that raised funds for children’s cancer care; and a committee chair of the National Alumni Board at the University of Puget Sound.
- David is an avid triathlete, runner, cyclist and wilderness adventurer. He has run the Wonderland Trail, competed in 50+ Ironman, Ironman 70.3, Ultramarathon, Marathon and Half Marathon events combined, raced the Ironman World Championship (Kona) in 2013 and qualified for 70.3 Worlds in 2014 and 2015.
Prior to joining Sovereign Legal, Marina worked as a legal intern with DocuSign, where she gained experience drafting a variety of business transaction agreements, and also as an attorney for a boutique litigation firm where she developed skills in negotiation, research, motion and complaint filings, and settlement agreements, and gained extensive experience in employment-related matters facing Washington state business owners.
- Seattle University School of Law
- University of Washington
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- Washington, 2017
PERSONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
Marina grew up in Seattle and attended University of Washington while working as a legal assistant and later a paralegal for a firm in Edmonds. In her free time, Marina enjoys spending time in Bend OR, portrait photography, true crime podcasts, and hiking. She also volunteers with the Washington Vets Wills Clinic and advises several small local start-up businesses.
Communications & IT
Kai’s brings 15+ years of experience developing and managing online content, communications and technologies projects to Sovereign Legal. His prior work includes positions at Fox Sports Net (Root), the Washington Society of CPAs, Microsoft and T-Mobile. You can catch him some nights strumming guitar and singing cowboy songs as Kai James Fuller & His Tin Shed Band.